Thursday, June 28, 2012

On My Nightstand - The Great Gatsby





The Great Gatsby - by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Source: purchased e-book and read on Kobo

Book summary (from Chapters.indigo.ca):
The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald's third book, stands as the supreme achievement of his career. This exemplary novel of the Jazz Age has been acclaimed by generations of readers. The story of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan, of lavish parties on Long Island at a time when The New York Times noted "gin was the national drink and sex the national obsession," it is an exquisitely crafted tale of America in the 1920s.
The Great Gatsby is one of the great classics of twentieth-century literature.

My thoughts:
I chose to read this book mostly because it is coming out as a movie very soon, and if Hollywood thought it would make a good movie, why not start wit hthe book right?  And especially since it is considered an American classic.

I really liked this book.  I have read very little set in the thism (1920's), but i thougth Fitzgerald did a great job in painting a picture as to what life was like back then - which is sometimes rare.  Often books written in their current time don't spend a lot of time describing the everyday - but he did a really good job.
It is a pretty easy short read - I recommend it for everyone.

I have not seen the movie yet, but I look forward to seeing how well Hollywood did with this book.

My ratings: 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment